Friday, October 22, 2010

My Great-Grandmother Pat Passing

On Saturday night, October 16th, I received a text from my mom, while I was Vegas, telling me my Great-Grandma Pat had just passed. Being literally in the middle of the Vegas strip and hearing news like this was made it very hard for me to compose myself. I calmed myself by just simply accepting and remembering that this was not an accident. This was to be expected very soon. And today just so happened to be the day.

My Grandma Pat died from Leukemia. She suffered greatly. So for her to be gone now, I'm just glad she's not in pain any longer. She always said she just wanted get to be 80. She died 3 1/2 months before. I guess she was just ready.

Today I'll be driving out with my Aunt Stella and boyfriend Nick for my grandmothers funeral. It's about a five hour drive. We won't get out of here till at least after 6 or 7 p.m. so that means we won't get into town until at least midnight or so. And it might be a long drive. Obama is supposed to be in L.A. today. Lets hope they close a bunch of freeways and we can get going a little sooner. It's gonna be a long weekend.

But at least I got something red. My Grandma Esther, Great-Grandma Pat's daughter, decided we should all wear something red to my grandmothers funeral because it was her favorite color. Being that it's not my favorite, I literally had absolutely nothing red. My mom sister and I went out looking, and trust me, in fall, it is very difficult to find. Everything is orange, and pink! So finally I found a scarf, my mom bought jewelery and my sister got ribbon to tie around her little black dress. I hope my Grandma Pat likes it. I know she'll be looking down on us tomorrow. And we'll all be embracing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment